The Small Farm Program has several publications related to farmers markets--written for both farmers and market managers.
In an effort to professionalize management of farmers markets, the program has developed several texts intended for farmers market managers. The program also has publications for farmers, related to safety issues at farmers markets.
Each of the publications listed below is available as a print edition from the Small Farm Center, or as a free download online. To download a book, click on its title to view the entire PDF or choose to view the book in smaller sections "By chapter." View all publications to order printed copies from the Small Farm Center.
Farmers Market Management Series
- Certified Farmers Market Program
Information from the California Department of Food and Agriculture, including applications to certify producers and markets and a statewide list of all certified farmers markets.
- California Federation of Certified Farmers Markets
This membership organization includes information on its website about certified farmers markets, including tips for farmers and additional resources.
- California Small Farm Conference
This annual conference includes a track of workshops each year specifically for farmers market managers. The Small Farm Program has long been an organizer of this conference.
- Direct-to-Consumer Marketing
Marketing information and programs from the USDA Agricultural Marketing Service, aimed at farmers markets and direct marketing.
- North American Farmers' Direct Marketing Association
Trade association for producers who participate in direct marketing and agritourism.
- Farmers Market Nutrition Programs
Programs focused on connecting women, infants, children and seniors with farmers markets, part of the the USDA Food & Nutrition Service.
- Farmers Markets and Small Farm Marketing Strategies Project
Research project examines how farm businesses and rural communities can benefit from farmers markets, conducted by the UC Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program.
- Environmental Health Requirements for Certified Farmers Markets
Document examines regulations and enforcement of health-related laws at farmers markets, from the California Conference of Directors of Environmental Health.
- Resources from the Farmers Market Coalition
Publications collected from Cooperative Extension and farmers market associations nationally, for managers and vendors.
- Farmers Markets: Marketing and Business Guide (1,330 KB)
This 24-page guide published in 2008 by ATTRA (National Sustainable Agricultural Information Service) includes information on organizing and improving a market.
- Tools for Rapid Market Assessment (782 KB)
Report from Oregon State University with directions and tips for surveying customers at a farmers market.
- Getting Started with Farmers Markets (1,331 KB)
Publication from the Wallace Center for farmers and vendors who are new to selling at farmers markets.
- Recruiting Vendors for a Farmers Market (826 KB)
Publication from the Wallace Center for market managers.
- EBT Farmers Market Nutrition Project
Information from the Berkeley Ecology Center on how to use food stamps and EBT cards at farmers markets in California.
- Find a farmers market & farmers market associations
Some of the publications listed on this page are available in PDF format, which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free program.